Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Can housework be sexy?

Perhaps it depends who's doing it!

I have a post about the link between sex and housework on the Most Mentally Sexy Dad Comp page today.

I know you all have plenty to say on this issue! Love to read your thoughts...

And while we're on the subject, I urge you all to read this great op ed piece by the ever-inspiring feminist poster-boy Damon Young.

It is also running on page 15 of today's Age newspaper.

His statement "I'm a feminist because I take my wife's selfhood seriously" is music to my ears. More than that, though, he translates that belief into action.

5 comments:

Damon Young said...

"Feminist poster-boy," hey? I can hear Ruth sniggering from here.

For the record, I have been cajoled and reminded and kicked in the arse to do some jobs. But so has Ruth. We do have different perceptions (e.g. I notice mess, she notices mould), but we try to make it work.

It's a daily juggling act. But we've the balls to do it.

Rachel Power said...

Yes, sorry, hope that wasn't offensive!

And you're right--my partner and I yesterday made a deal that he would stop leaving coat-hangers hanging on doorknobs all over the house if I stopped leaving my shoes everywhere.

It's a never-ending process of negotiation...

Damon Young said...

Not at all, Rachel!

If I turn my head to the hall, I can see four or five of my shirts, hanging on the knob of the hall cupboard...

Rachel Power said...

No shoes, though? You're a lucky man!

Shelley Cartoons said...

I loved this piece and read it to my husband. He'd never identify as a feminist but does indeed "have the balls to do it."
He agreed to leave his full time job and go part time to support my arts business even though it meant a big cut to our income.